Friday, November 12, 2010

Stressful Day . . .

Okay, so we all know that I am a complete and total wuss, sissy, fainter girl when I'm around sickness or stressful situations involving sickness right?  Well today, my father-in-law calls to take me and the boys to lunch (no school today for some reason).  So, we hop in his car, drive to Perkins, sit down, order and then all of the sudden . . . he looks at me and says, "I don't feel so well".  Panic immediately sets in.  I'm like, ok, what's wrong?  He says his stomach hurts and he's cold so I'm like an idiot, panicked, moron and just say things like "do you want me to call someone?  do you want to leave?  did you want me to call someone?" I couldn't think of what to do because I'm watching Burke (10) start panicking just like me!  Burke says, "I'm outta here, I'm gonna sit in the lobby place", so I send him and Griff to the lobby and my father-in-law heads to the bathroom, I was sure he was going to pass out or vomit before he got there!  He turns back due to his hatred of public restrooms, sits down and looks horrible, takes some deep breaths and I'm sure at this point he's going to have a stroke or keel over right there in front of me at Perkins!  I start sweating profusely of course, hands start trembling when he says he's gotta go.  He whips out $60 for lunch and leaves.  So I start calling John and Michelle to make sure that he gets home.  They both don't answer!  Meanwhile, Burke and I have no appetite and can't eat.   25 minutes later, John's brother Dana picks us up, says my father-in-law came down to work, went to the bathroom and then high tailed it home.  Kelley says he didn't even turn his car off in the garage when he got there!  Good Lord!  


He spent the day in bed but seems much better.  He worries me though because he said on the way home his 'brain' wasn't working quite right.  ARGH.  Scary!


So, this whole scenario was UBER stressful for me.  I've had a headache ever since.  Why am I incapable of handling these situations with confidence?  


So, hopefully, this was just a random little bug and no big deal.  He's been an amazing help to my  family and I can't stand the thought of anyone I love being sick, especially around me!  :)

4 comments:

  1. Stressful! Maybe you should put the address and phone number to his urgent care provider or physician in your wallet, as well as a 3-step reminder card of what to do if someone gets sick when with you. Of course calling 911 would be priority if he had passed out on the floor of Perkins. I wonder if it was a heart issue? A small stroke? Or it was probably just a random stomach bug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, that sounds like a scary time at Perkins. I think you panicked just like some of us would. Don't be so hard on yourself. I'm glad he made it home okay. He better go in for a check-up.
    It's hard to remain calm when someone you love is hurting. Hope things go better today

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Becky's suggestions. Have a plan so that if you're in the situation it's already been thought out. Hope he's okay...sounds like he's a nice grandpa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just reading your post made me sweat.

    ReplyDelete